2008/12/31

Port Leon Update

Tom Eaton's photos of the Port Leon expedition in the St. Marks National Wildlife Refuge. Tom initially tried to e-mail them to me at work, but the county network blocked the images in the message, so he brought them to me on Saturday on a flash drive. I tried to match his captions from the e-mail to the pictures, but I hope he will correct/amplify them for me. They are such beautiful photos, I couldn't bring myself to resize them.

It's easy to see why the only unpreserved structures remaining from old Florida are made from brick or stone, like the Castillo de San Marcos in St. Augustine. Anything made of wood returns to the earth relatively quickly.

(Edit 01/10/2009: Tom has generously posted comments for his Port Leon photographs. I have deleted any erroneous captions. Thanks. Tom!)

No comments: