2009/11/07

Reader Advisory for Mrs. P.

Doris sounded pleased that I had answered her call.  She wondered whether we had anything on reserve for her.  No, all her reserve requests were still outstanding.  She is home-bound, and she places requests for titles on the NYT Bestsellers list, which her driver collects for her.

Would she like me to choose some books for her?  Yes, she enjoyed what I picked for her last time, two or three would be nice.  She has an educated voice, like a career woman of my mother's generation.

The Great Fire by Shirley Hazzard.
The Wooden Leg of Inspector Anders by Marshall Browne.
 Dark Star Safari: Overland from Cairo to Capetown by Paul Theroux

2 comments:

Steerforth said...

Dark Star Safari is a great read - she'll love it.

Brett said...

I agree, Theroux is one of the great travel writers, though he tends to be bilious. I loved his contrarian take on the "let's all save Africa" movement.

The others, Hazzard and Browne, are both Australians. I've developed a fascination for Oz, which I think of as a kind of Bizarro America.