2012/06/10

Three-Day Weekend

A three-day weekend, a time to rest and regroup before another 7-day stretch at work on Monday.  We are down one full-time position in Adult Services, owing to a promotion.

A man came from Benson's Heating and Air to service our HVAC system on Friday.  They had left a message for us to set up a visit in January, but I let it slide until now.  The system is fine, though it could do with some re-sealing of the duct-work.

The workman was equipped with an iPad as a rugged device.  It had a thick rubberized frame with little "feet".  He generated my invoice on it, had me sign it with my finger, and e-mailed it to us.  He was unable to charge it to my VISA account directly, owing to some glitch, and had to write down my account information to do it later.

After a dry Spring, June has been very wet, excusing me from yard work.  It rained for much of Saturday.  I washed a couple of loads of laundry, put clean sheets on the bed, and spent the rest of the afternoon reading Nancy Mitford.

I am so weary of all the stories in the news, made worse by my microfilm searches at work, where I see that the same stories, or very similar ones, have been "news" for years and years.  While the Center for Disease Control is compelled to issue a denial of an imminent Zombie Apocalypse, I want to escape and read English country house mysteries.

We have a new bishop for the Diocese of Pensacola - Tallahassee, Most Reverend Gregory L. Parkes.  R. and I attended a Mass of Thanksgiving at the Co-Cathedral of St. Thomas More on Sunday.  Bishop Parkes is a large man, six-foot-eight, R. says!  It was the Feast of Corpus Christi, and several of our deacons from Blessed Sacrament assisted with the service.

Very impressive, with a remarkable choir, and it was good to have a look at the bishop.  I will be glad to return to my own Blessed Sacrament next Sunday.

No comments: